Saturday, October 22, 2011

Epic apps

We went to a Halloween party at a friends house last night.   We had a problem that our phones allowed us to solve.

We had family that owned one house, and the party was three houses away.   Too far for a monitor to reach.   The entire family was invited, but it was after 7:00 when our girls go to bed.   I needed a baby monitor that would reach a city block.

Enter a number android baby monitor apps.  I used this one.

I placed a phone next to our baby monitor in the house.   When the phone hears a noise at a set decibel level for a short period of time, it calls a contact from your phonebook.   The receiving phone gets to listen to the monitor and hang up when done.

An iPhone can do the above, but cannot do the below.

I did get a couple calls throughout the night.  When i determined it was not an issue, I hung up, and the baby monitory app was able to call again next time it was triggered with no reset.   I got a total of three calls over 5 hours, and each time I was able to listen into the baby monitor.

The iPhone version of the above app can only make ONE call.   Then, the owner has to re-set the app, which means I would have had to make 2 additional trips back to the house.     It is a restriction in the iOS software.

Did I mention the android version is free and the iOS one is $2.99?  Android has SO MANY more free apps its silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment